Book Review: Floating in Space by Naela Ali

Jemaime Blog - I cannot enjoy reading lately. The Handmaid's Tale, There Once Lived a Woman Who Tried to Kill Her Neighbor's Baby: Scary Fairy Tales... I feel like I need a break from complicated things.

My life is complicated as I write it right now.

Just kidding, not much happening in life right now because I've constantly ignored any signs and hints that came into my direction. What's new?

The last time I read something and be attentive to what I read was..... Never Never: Part Three by Colleen Hoover and Tarryn Fisher. And it was no more than 92 pages. I cannot do long reading at the moment.

I did long reading last year or early this year I think and it was The Journey Under The Midnight Sun by Keigo Higashino. If you enjoy Haruki Murakami works, you will like Keigo Higashino too. Don't worry, their concept don't overlap but it's just they have this similar thing on hooking the reader. You must be hooked on the romance between Aomame and Tango, I suppose. Keigo Higashino also presented the same thing to his characters. I couldn't put down the book, it was that amazing. It is 539 pages.

Finding your own taste in genre is a vital thing. But it doesn't thing that you cannot go out of your comfort zone. I used to enjoy Princess Diaries in my young age and then jumped into Dan Brown. I also enjoy Me Before You by Jojo Moyes and read the second series which is After You, but the third book, it's lost on me. I dont know, I can't seem to finish the early chapters. So, I switch into another book.

Naela Ali IG


Now, when I am in my short span focus, I pick up Floating in Space by Naela Ali. It is her latest work (CMIIW). Her previous books are heavily illustrated. I do love illustration in watercolor but that is out of my budget so yep.

While Floating in Space is more writings than illustration. More writings, more intimate. It's almost like me peeking into lovely secret stories inside Naela Ali's head whenever she's closing her eyes. Yes, I feel like it's all inside her head. It's her own self that take the girl role inside the book. It consisted of short stories with great flow. I can't help but flipping the next page, more pages, and more.

Upon reading the synopsis at the back cover, I quickly thought that it's only about cliche love story. The ones that have been on every teen romance novels, the girl meet the ideal guy of her dream. I started to read trying to prove my point. But nah, it is far from cliche story! I am really happy that I read it. Somehow it got rid of the false expectation inside my head, some complicated strings got off inside my brain. This is what I've been looking for!

The same thing can be applied on my real life. The gap between the expectation and reality is too far, hence the complicated ball of problems inside my brain. It electrified the other cords inside my head and boom.

I recommend Floating in Space by Naela Ali if you're bored with your life and wanna have a quick trip from all the problems. It's about 80k, it comes in the size of your palm (no, not that small but it's smaller than your average novel). It's best to be read with sound of the rain in the background and fluffy pillows around you. Maybe prepare some tissue in case you need it.

Click here for Angie's Goodreads Profile
And for youtube channel


Playlist:
Jorja Smith - Something In The Way
The Red Pears - Forever
Bahamas - All Ive Ever Known
Cheeze - Love You(좋아해)(bye)
Conan Grey - Sweater Weather (cover)

CONVERSATION

0 komentar:

Back
to top