Movie Review: Leon, The Professional 1994

I am currently going through a cycle where I enjoy rough movies like Leon or Insomnia, and songs like Killing For You by Skylar Grey or Hurt by Helps.

The cycle comes and go, as my mood shifts a lot.

I can say that I really love Leon the Professional '94. I finally watched it last week. (I know I'm soooo late). The contrast between Leon, the hit man who likes milk as his diet, and Matilda, the teen who acts mature way beyond her age. I see this movie as a harsh romance since it involves a lot of gunshots and violent acts. But it is incomparable like Face Off or From Paris with Love. I can't tolerate the two latter movies. Matilda's mature act softens the whole movie.


For UK version, it is called Leon. But when it's released on America, they added The Professional 1994.

For those who haven't watched it yet, I recommend to watch it first, don't ask whether you'll like it or not. If you like vintage filter and settings, so this movie is for you.

(SPOILER ALERT)

The conflict starts when the whole family is assassinated and Matilda has nowhere to go but her antique neighbor house, Leon. They live in the same apartment floor. Being a hit man, Leon quickly picks on the situation and let her in.

The combination between the Italian guy and teen american girl is not something you can see everyday. The unforgettable scene is when Leon and Matilda moving from one apartment to another while bringing a few clothes, suitcase, and a huge plant. I often saw the cosplay by SM Entertainment artist on Halloween party. They wore Matilda's trademark clothes: which is green bomber jacket, black tank top underneath, black shorts, fishnet stockings, and Doc mart. Then, I thought to myself, if they really like the movie, then I should watch it too.

And little did I know, boy, I love it!


I like that Jean Reno input the idea to inject new trait into Leon to stitch the whole plot together. He decided to portray Leon as slightly mentally slow and emotionally repressed. It fits that when Mathilda requests him to be her lover, he would not take the advantage of her innocence. The movie would roll into more morally-accepted theme for the society. Imagine if Leon would do the opposite, like it was decided in the beginning.

It would be another Lolita theme movie.

Nah, I prefer the way (Leon rejects Mathilda).




CONVERSATION

0 komentar:

Back
to top